CABEO stands for Capacity-building for Employers' Organizations in the Commerce sector.
The general objective of the project is to strengthen the capacity of employers’ organizations of the commerce sector in new EU member states and candidate countries for effective engagement in policy development and social dialogue, both at national and EU level.
More specifically the project aims at:
- improving the level and quality of policy dialogue between public and private players on commerce sector development related issues;
- improving the understanding of the benefits and risks of social dialogue for EOs as well as the negotiating capacity of EOs;
- improving of the capacity of EOs to provide good quality, additional and/or enhanced services to their members;
- strengthening of networks between national EOs, the EU level as well as other important stakeholders.
The project is focused on capacity building through training, technical assistance and networking. By strengthening the capacity of their key staff and board members, the project intends to support EOs to better and more effectively fulfill their mandates.
While building capacity on typical activities of EOs i.e. on advocacy/lobbying, social dialogue and service development, the training and networking activities will explicitly provide tools and information for better understanding of the EU social policies affecting the commerce sector, awareness on the activities conducted by Eurocommerce to voice the interest of the commerce sector at EU level as well as valorization of the outcomes of the European Social Dialogue in the commerce sector.
The following activities are foreseen (more details here):
- Activity 1 - Assessment of EOs’ functioning and participation in sectoral social dialogue
Online survey to be carried out in February/March 2011.
- Activity 2 – Training workshop “Strengthening the voice of the commerce sector” on Lobbying and Communication
Dates: 14-17 March 2011
Venue: Turin, Italy
- Activity 3 - Training workshop “Maximizing the benefits of social dialogue” on social dialogue and negotiating skills
Dates: 27-30 June 2011
Venue: Czech Republic
- Activity 4 - Training workshop “Managing sustainable services for members”
Dates: 3-6 October 2011
Venue: Turin, Italy
- Activity 5 - Closing Bipartite workshop “Exchanging knowledge, sharing experience, putting ideas into actions”
Dates: 7-9 December 2011
Venue: Brussels, Belgium
- Activity 6 - Impact evaluation
To be carried out in May 2012 (online)
The project is conducted by the Programme for Employers’ Activities of the International Training Centre of the International Labour Organization (ITCILO) in partnership with Eurocommerce.
It benefits from the financial support of the European Union.